Marriage license

In order to get married in Greece, a licence is required from the registrar in the Municipality in which you reside.

  • ·Any formal document you may have (visa, residence permit, passport, identity card, asylum applicant’s card etc.) proving that you live permanently in the country.
  • ·an extract of your birth certificate (translated and notarized)
  • ·certificate of no impediment to marriage from the respective Consular Authority or another competent Authority  of your Country (translated and notarized)
  • ·in case you are divorced, you should submit a certificate of dissolution of marriage (translated and notarized)
  • ·your marriage announcement, as published in a daily, local newspaper
  • ·tax stamp fee or a duplicate receipt of EUR 15 from the Tax Office


For more information, please refer to the competent registry.

At the Municipality of your residence.

If you are a recognized refugee you can submit a solemn declaration instead, stating that everything you claim is true.

If you are an asylum applicant you can request that the court issues a marriage licence.