In order to get married in Greece, a licence is required from the registrar in the Municipality in which you reside.

  • ·Any formal document you may have (visa, residence permit, passport, identity card, asylum applicant’s card etc.) proving that you live permanently in the country.
  • ·an extract of your birth certificate (translated and notarized)
  • ·certificate of no impediment to marriage from the respective Consular Authority or another competent Authority  of your Country (translated and notarized)
  • ·in case you are divorced, you should submit a certificate of dissolution of marriage (translated and notarized)
  • ·your marriage announcement, as published in a daily, local newspaper
  • ·tax stamp fee or a duplicate receipt of EUR 15 from the Tax Office


For more information, please refer to the competent registry.

At the Municipality of your residence.

If you are a recognized refugee you can submit a solemn declaration instead, stating that everything you claim is true.

If you are an asylum applicant you can request that the court issues a marriage licence.

The civil wedding takes place at the town hall of your residence and is carried out by the Mayor.

  1. You need to agree with the Municipality the day and time of the ceremony
  2. You also need to ensure the presence of two persons chosen by you to sign as witnesses.

In order to have a Muslim wedding in Greece, both intending spouses must be Muslims and one of them should already have a Greek citizenship.

Amarriage license is required, issued by the Municipality of your residence.  You also need to contact the Mufti office to get information regarding any additional documents needed (for example birth certificate registration, certificate of family status). Mufti offices are located in the area of Thrace and specifically at Xanthi, Komotini and Didimoteicho cities.

In one of the Mufti offices available at Thrace (Xanthi, Komotini, Didimoteicho).

A marriage certificate must be drawn up for the wedding which then has to be registered at the Registry Office of the Municipality where the wedding took place.

The registration should be made by both spouses or by one of them but in this case the other spouse’s identity card has to be presented. In case you a third person is asked to do so on your behalf, he/she must have a power of attorney (Public Notaries Act). 

  • Both spouses’ identity cards or passports. If you are a recognized refugee you need to present the passport and the residence permit. If you are an asylum applicant, you have to presentthe international protection applicant’s card.
  • Marriage declaration. The marriage certificate is signed by the person who had the authority to carry out the marriage (Mayor or Clergyman) and is also signed by the spouses.
  • Deed of determination of child’s last name, only if the last name is not annotated on the -marriage certificate by the person who was authorized to carry out the marriage.
  • Tax Registration Number and Social Security Service Number of both spouses if available.

The marriage must be registered within 40 days in the Registry Office of the place where the marriage took place and a marriage certificate must be drawn up. If you miss this deadline, you will be asked to pay a 100€ fine if you do so within three (3) months and 300€ if you register it after these three (3) months have passed.