Full registration (asylum application submission)

After the pre-registration of your request, you will be informed by the Asylum Service about the date and time of the full registration of your request, as well as the specific Regional Asylum Office (RAO) that you will have to present yourself. It is mandatory that you go to the RAO exactly at the date and time you have been told. This is the day that you will submit your international protection application.

During the full registration of your application:

  1. Your fingerprints and the fingerprints of any family members under 14 years old will be taken. The fingerprints will be registered to the European Central Database EURODAC. In case you have already submitted an international protection application in another European country that abides to the Dublin III Regulation, it is likely that you will be transferred to that country so that you have your application examined there.
  2. You will be asked questions concerning your personal details.
  3. You will be asked to hand in your travel documents (e.g. your passport).

The officers will request any other documents you may have verifying your identity and the identity of your family members who are also in Greece or another European country, your country of origin, as well as your family status documents.

Yes. During the full registration process, it is mandatory that an interpreter who speaks a language that you understand to be present.

During the full registration you have the right to request assistance by a lawyer or any other counselor of your choice (without the mediation of the Asylum Service), who will be with you during the whole time of the procedure. If you choose a paid lawyer/counselor, then these expenses must be covered by you.

If you are a woman, you can request to be interviewed by a female clerk of the Asylum Service assisted by a female interpreter given that there are any available at the time.

If you are a victim of tortures, rape or other serious forms of violence, you must inform the services in order to receive the necessary assistance. You can ask to contact the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees or an organization offering legal, medical and psychological support.

You may also submit any additional document relevant to your request. You can keep submitting documents until the decision regarding your application is issued.

After completing your full registration, you will sign a document which constitutes your request for asylum and you will receive the asylum applicant’s card.

The basic registration card is NOT valid anymore and you have to return it to the Asylum Service.

The asylum applicant’s card is a threefold leaflet where the following details appear: name, surname, father’s name, mother’s name, nationality, birth date and birth place. Also: the address of your residence, issuance and expiration date of your card, the application submission date and the case number.

With your case number you can contact the Asylum Service for any information you wish to get, until the decision about your request is issued.

If you have not received an answer regarding your request until the day your card expires, you must visit to the Regional Asylum Office before it expires to renew it.

Asylum applicant’s card sample copy:


The asylum applicant’s card grants you the following rights:

-Legal residence permit in Greece until the issuance date of the decision regarding your asylum application.

-Your minor children can go to school.

-Free movement throughout Greece.

-Free housing in reception centreswithin the mainland of Greece provided there is availability through programs that are implemented occasionally by bodies, organizations and Municipalities. For more information you should contact the competent organizations and bodies.

-Free healthcare and medical care services in public hospitals or reception centres (medical tests, hospitalization, delivery, etc.).

-The right to work in Greece.

-You do NOT have the right to travel outside Greece.

In case your asylum applicant’s card is lost or stolen, you can request for a new card to be issued.

First, you will have to go to the Asylum Service to get a document stating that you have submitted an international protection application. The number of the lost card will be written on this document. With this document you will visit the Police Stationclosest to your residence where you will submit a declaration of loss stating that you have lost your asylum applicant’s card and then you will receive a notarized copy of this declaration of loss. With this document you will go to the Asylum Service the day of your interview, where you will be informed of the new interview day.